Subject: [Leica] The high price of progress, phew!
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Thu Mar 3 18:36:57 2005

In a message dated 3/3/2005 8:27:26 P.M. Central Standard Time,
dnygr@cshore.com writes:
Every few years, our equipment needs to be replaced  because it is dated.
That rate of change and its accompanying cost was not true  of the
typewriter
age. I'm not speaking against the change, but I am noting that  many of us
now
are spending a lot more money to type our messages than we would  be if we
still
used typewriters.

Doug,
Well, I think I paid more of my annual income in 1970 for an IBM  Selectric
typewriter than I did for this four year old 800 mhz computer I built  for
myself.  It has two monitors, the ability to spell check. It has  replaced
an
entire (dark)room in my house, and I edit all my photography and  keep my
checkbook on it.

I use it to talk instantly with friends I never  would have had in England,
New Jersey, North Carolina and California.

I can talk to my daughter in Paris and my daughter  in Colorado in  real
time.  I can book airline tickets, shop for cameras, seeing pictures  of
them,
before I buy.  I find parts for household appliances, and get  stock quotes.

Screw the typewriter.  I  like DSL and my  computer.

Regards,
Sonny
http://www.sonc.com
Natchitoches, Louisiana