Subject: [Leica] OT: Contax ceased production of 35mm cameras, digital to follow
From: leica35 at yahoo.com (Roger Bunting)
Date: Thu Mar 3 16:57:44 2005

Scott,

Me too.... The consumer push is to long zooms, not
wide zooms, at least that's the way the industry is
reacting. Stabilization has improved things for the
slow tele end of things, but I would really like to
see a fast lens somewhere in the 28|35|45 mm focal
length range. Maybe passive autofocus to reduce the
need for focus assist lamps, at least something where
you could turn off all the lights on the camera. The
early Nikon coolpix cameras were able to add a simple
external flash. Not really TTL but pretty effective
never the less. However if the noise and ISO were
respectively low enough and high enough you could
likely do without any strobe help. Too bad those
concepts together are opposing forces.

I've actually gotten pretty good with a table top
tripod to combat the high noise on my small canon
digital. It's carrying over into other cameras.

Anyway, a high quality lens fast lens on a digital P&S
would have my dollar. The f2 on My wife's G3 is not
bad by digital standards, poor my M-system. But still
offers opportunities not found on other comperable
digital cameras. I'm not comparing final picture
quality here, just ablility within the set of apples
or oranges.

Regards,
Roger

--- Scott McLoughlin <scott@adrenaline.com> wrote:
> I've been wondering when some company will release a
> premo
> digi P&S -  APS sized sensor,  great high ISO
> performance, superb
> fixed focal length lens, maybe an external accessory
> flash. That
> kind of thing.

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!