Subject: [Leica] WAS: Favourite Lens NOW: 21mm etc on R-D1
From: mikiro at yahoo.fr (MIKIRO)
Date: Wed Mar 2 06:28:51 2005

Hi, Simon.

Vignetting on R-D1 has also been a issue for me. In fact, I was not
happy with my Color Skopar 28mm, which gives almost perfect images with
film. Dual M-Hexanon 21-35mm, with a retrofocus and zoom-like design,
gives very little vignetting even at wide open both at 21mm and 35mm.
Another advantage of this lens is surprising resistance to veiling glare
and "ghost" in contre-jour shots. In this regard, Tri-Emlar is not a
rival, which gives nonetheless more crisp images in other situations. In
general, I agree with Erwin's comments at:
http://www.imx.nl/photosite/japan/KonicaDual/HexanonDual.html

Zeiss Planar 50mm ZM has been available here in Japan, and I can give
you qualitative impression from my limited use. I have never tried
side-by-side comparisons with Leica 50mm lenses. Technical reviews will
be done by more knowledgeable persons. First, the lens, a collaboration
work of Zeiss and Cosina, has the DNA of Zeiss optics. The images are
vivid with a mellow look, a character similarly found with
Kyocera-Contax lenses. I would say Leica glass gives more solid and
sculpturesque images. Of course, the differences are so small that I
cannot always tell them in real shooting, particularly with smaller
apertures. The lens is in my opinion better built than Voigtlander
lenses but still with a Cosina feeling. This is probably due to use of
light-weight material. I am concerned about its durability in long-time
extensive use. Finally, the lens looks less handsome on M cameras. This
may be the biggest issue for Luggers. :-)

Cheers,

MIKIRO

Replies: Reply from mikiro at yahoo.fr (MIKIRO) ([Leica] Konica Hexanon 50mm f2.4 L-mount)