Subject: [Leica] Shootout - L vs N
From: rdcb37 at dodo.com.au (Rick Dykstra)
Date: Mon Feb 28 17:22:12 2005

Hmm, interesting point BD.  The F5/300 AFS + 1.4 combo can be focussed
manually if set that way, and quite well too.  The problem I have, when
the action is really on, is adapting my shooting style from using the
autofocus to then not using it.  Even when the equipment makes this
possible, in more than one way.  I could manually focus and then lock
with the buttons on the lens, or press the focus/exposure lock button
on the body (though awkward).  Or press them first and then focus.  I
used to do this when taking set piece shots at soccer matches, come to
think of it.

Perhaps I'll have to practice the skill of recognising when the sensors
are not helping, push one of those buttons and then focus manually.
This would have been an aid with a number of shots.  The difficulty,
mentally, is giving up the autofocus when it seems so right, given the
way these birds are always changing position.  More practice needed.

Good tip. Thanks.

Rick