Subject: [Leica] Re:Epson printer
From: profmason at yahoo.com (John Mason)
Date: Sun Feb 27 09:24:59 2005

BD wrote, about using non-HP papers with the HP 7960
and related printers:

> One thing, Gene - I would urge you to do some
> testing on fade resistance.

I've been using Epson Enhanced Matte for B&W prints
with my HP 7960 for nearly a year.  Works well.  I'm
looking at an older print right now.  It's been
sitting on my desk, next to a window.  Can't see any
fading.  Haven't noticed it with other prints either.

I do like the HP papers.  They mimic RC prints pretty
well.  Using HP B&W inks, grayscale is even and blacks
are especially rich.

But HP papers are expensive, and deep shadow detail
can easily be lost.

Using the Enhanced Matte, the blacks aren't as
luscious, but printed right and viewed behind glass
it's hard to tell.

--John

J Mason
Charlottesville, Virginia