Subject: [Leica] GeeBee's 'Street' photography
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Sat Feb 26 16:01:08 2005

I know its very easy to be critical of others when they make blanket
statements, but "street photography' does NOT "have" to contain
anything at all really. Teachers and "academys" tend to insist on
making classifications, and then the real "artists" often make fools of
them. To insist that to be a landscape a photograph must contain a tree
would be stupid. To explain why some street photographers are better
than others using terms like "irony, humour and pathos" is fine, but
not every image, or even great image taken as "street photography"
need contain one of these 3 elements. How about pure horror? Having
said that -- I just hate blanket statements --, I have to agree in
general with the sentiments expressed. No form of art/craft is easy
when it is performed at the highest level.

Cheers
On 27/02/2005, at 5:00 AM, B. D. Colen wrote:

> :-)
> First off, I'd suggest that anyone wanting to do, appreciate, or
> discuss
> "street photography" take a look for minimal starters at the work of
> Winnogrand.
>
> For whatever its worth, street photography must contain either irony,
> humor, or some degree of pathos. It has to say, or really show
> something
> about the human condition. It can't just say 'some people are fat;' 'a
> girl talks on a cell phone.'

Alastair

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] GeeBee's 'Street' photography)