Subject: [Leica] On topic: 1.4/50 Summilux-M
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli)
Date: Tue Feb 22 11:31:03 2005

I've had mine for almost a year now and it's really grown on me.

Not as sharp as the current Cron, which I also have, but plenty sharp.
By f8 the Lux is very sharp, all the way into the corners. I love the
extra
stop and the ability to focus as close as 70 cm. My biggest complaint is
the collapsible hood, which can't be locked into place. I solved that
problem
with a metal screw-in hood from Contax.

But what I really like about this lens is the fingerprint. It's magic
in black
and white. People talk about the Leica glow, and this one has it in
spades.
Buttersmooth tones with the smoothest bokeh and actually quite sharp.
It has a very classic look, hires and medium contrast, which isn't
surprising
given it's lineage, the Xenon, Summarit and first gen. Lux.

I've made some 11x14 prints on Agfa FB Classic from APX100 negs
(Rodinal)
and there is something about the look that even laymen notice.

The Lux gets knocked a lot because it was in production for about 40
years,
and remained unchanged, but it's much better than people think.
Absolute sharpness
isn't everything. Plenty of people made better shots than any of us
could manage with
the 1.5/50 Sonnar and the Lux blows that lens away. In any case, it's
another brush
in the shooters arsenal.

feli

Replies: Reply from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] On topic: 1.4/50 Summilux-M)