Subject: [Leica] Re: quiet M7
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sun Feb 20 14:51:09 2005

At 10:13 AM -0500 2/20/05, Summicron1@aol.com wrote:
>First time I handled and fired an M7 I thought the thing was broken, it is
>SO
>quiet -- no mechanics and a cloth focal plane shutter equals VERY quiet
>indeed.
>
>I have a 2.8 planar rolleiflex and I think the 3.5 models are much quieter
>because the shutter is smaller and you're throwing less metal around, but I
>think the M7 is about as quiet, if not more so.
>
>Possibly the quietest ccameras around is some of the older rangefinder
>cameras, such as a very early ricohs, which use a blade shutter like
>the Rollei.
>Some of those are near silent.
>
>c trentelman
>In a message dated 2/20/05 6:55:24 AM, lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

An otherwise wonderful camera, the Hasselblad SWC, is extremely noisy
and has one of the roughest shutter releases ever put on a between
the lens shutter camera! They really fell down on that mechanism.

I believe the Leicas are among the very quietest of the focal plane
shuttered cameras. Close competition comes from the Canon Elan II and
7. Between-the-lens shuttered cameras should always have an advantage
in this are.

Quietest are the digital cameras when you turn the ker-chunk noise off!

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design