Subject: [Leica] Thanks to BD and John Szarkowski
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sun Feb 20 09:39:11 2005

Nope. I honestly don't see the point in all the 1/3rds, triangles, etc.
Learning how to control exposure? Sure. Learning about depth of field
and the difference in lens perspectives? Sure. But compositional "rules"
etc? No way.

Look, I make no claim to be a great photographer - or teacher. And I
really do know my limitations, and they are, as they say, legion. But I
think that I am reasonably good. And I have never taken a single course;
never read a photo text book - other than to look something up; never
studied "the rules." I have spent endless hours soaking up the work of
photographers whose eye and soul I admire; I have spent endless hours
with the work of photographers whose eyes I think are blind and whose
souls are blank. And I have spent endless hours shooting.

What the "rules" produce is, by and large, mediocre formalism. ;-)