Subject: [Leica] A 70-200 by any other crop circle...
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Feb 19 21:22:35 2005

On 2/19/05 8:21 PM, "David Mason" <masonster@gmail.com> typed:

> Well the m:robe sure as hell isn't going to be their ipod. What the
> hell were they thinking??
>

> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:15:59 -0500, B. D. Colen <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>> The two lenses they announced - (in 35 mm equivalents) 28-70 f2 and
>> 70-200 f2, mean that a photographer can carry only two lenses and go
>> from 28 to 200 at f 2 the whole way - and how cool is that? Add to that
>> either the already existing  (35 equiv) 22-44 2.8-3.5, or the new (35
>> equiv) of 14-2? F4, and all of a sudden the E-1 offers a real
>> alternative to digital shooters who don't want to use flash all the
>> time. Will this make a real dent in the Nikon or Canon pro lines? Highly
>> unlikely. But will these lenses - and a new 8 or so mgp rendition of the
>> E-1 prove to be Olympus's iPod? Good chance.

Well their new innovative Olympus E-300 (EVOLT E-300)is one amazing other
thing.
But they don't want to go down the route of so many willing and wanting
camera systems which tried and failed but lived to fail again...
Because of that dreaded condition known in damp climates as....
SLOW GLASS!
Once it settles in there's no getting rid of it!

A huge strength of the Leica M system is it's blazingly fast glass
And lots of it
    which is innovative in the aspect of...
YOU CAN USE IT WIDE OPEN
And do the things with the lens that the lens you'd think was designed to
do. Like
USE IT WIDE OPEN

Somebody today says it's ok for them to get an R1D1 Epson Cosina because
they don't shoot their weddings with a Noctilux or Summilux 1.4 (35mmm?)
anyway.
But 2 people have come on in the last ten days to say that the use their
Noctili on their Epson's guiltlessly without compunction.

On My Leica N D100 I use a 28 1.4 which translates to 42mm.
True normal.
At my commonly used ASA 1600 setting if I can see it I can shoot it.
Hand held. Without breaking stride.
And sharp enough to blow up 13x19.

Which is new 11x14.

Mark Rabiner