Subject: [Leica] Leica Solms LUG LHSA Buyout horse of a different color
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Feb 18 20:07:32 2005

On 2/18/05 6:05 PM, "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@shaw.ca> typed:

> Excuse me, but may I ask? Why are people crying over the possible crash and
> burn of a company that failed to move with the times when most others did?
>

>snippet<
>
> They might get though this present mess, but not in the hands of the crew
> running the ship at the moment. And certainly not by a bunch of us rushing
> out to buy ... "film cameras!" No matter how much we "love, cherish and all
> the other silly terms for some damn tool that holds film!"
>
> Sorry folks, it's "LIFE IN THE REAL WORLD!"
>

> ted

Well Ted and others who have said this:
The guy at the top at Leica, Ralf Coenen, has drawers in his desk he hasn't
put stuff in yet. He moved in there 49 days ago.
Half the stuff in my ice box is a lot older than that.
I think if he's expected to move mountains lets at least give him time to
put on his lederhosen first.

> Excuse me, but may I ask? Why are people crying over the possible crash and
> burn of a company that failed to move with the times when most others did?

While many of the vocal people here have their irons in high tech Canon
Nikon fires and other formats a bunch others of us, the less vocal ones
don't find any need to.
They are Leica shooters. Leica is their camera of choice.
That's ALL they shoot. No point and shoot backups.
Maybe they've driven Fords all their lives too.
If Ford went under.
They'd be upset.
Might get hard to replace that real axel when the time comes.

> Look, back up the clock to the days of the first Japanese SLR's beginning
> appear. When old man Leitz said the SLR was a fad and all those starting to
> use the SLR would return to Leica. So he forbade any SLR research nor
> anyone
> at Leitz even think about a Leica camera in the SLR format. Period!
>
> No need to finish the tale as we all know where it went and why Leica is
> still dragging their ass in the mud figuring out how the world passed them
> by!

Leica has been a company which has lived in a world which has passed them by
for over 40 years.
That's a position they're used to.
They're like that horse in Windago I saw last night or Seabiscuit last week,
(and bought the book).
I'm a horse lover now.

Waaaaay bigger than they appear in television I passed the horse craze up in
favor of smaller more manageable less dangerous appearing things long ago.
Now I'm a horse lover.
Just tie me to my saddle and I'll make it through this one.

Especially the horse who's at the back, "trying harder"  (a rental horse?)
The opening is right in front of them and it seems like they can move in
when ever they want to. And they do.

Notably:

The 21 and 24 ASPH Elmarit's,

The SUMMICRON-M ASPH. f/2/28 mm
SUMMILUX-M ASPH. f/1.4/35 mm
The
ELMAR-M f/2.8/50 mm and
SUMMILUX-M ASPH. f/1.4/50 mm
And the APO-SUMMICRON-M ASPH. f/2/90 mm

All can be put on a life support system digitally from Epson Cosina.
Or the new M7, MP or dozens of earlier models some serious shooters prefer.

And the Digilux 2 was/is a great thing.

Just a few years ago which seems like yesterday on the LUG I remember with a
new guy when even use the word "digital" in a sentence. You, Me, Jim Brick,
Marc James Small, Eric Welsh, BD Colen and a few others would shoot them
down in flames so fast it would cauterized their nose hairs.

Day two Leica hasn't gone digital yet and we are all gleefully kissing them
off for not being the technological leaders they were long famous for NOT
BEING.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon