Subject: [Leica] Tmax 3200 (att: Bill)
From: wharting at verizon.net (bill harting)
Date: Fri Feb 18 19:19:57 2005

Interesting, the comment about the framelines on the 40mm Summicron. I would
dearly like to have a 50 Summicron that will focus closer than the
collapsible (excellent performer that it is) that is my main 50, and I see
40mms available from time to time at affordable prices. Yet for years I have
used a 35 (no eyes) on my M3 and used the outer edge of what can been seen
in the finder as my "frame", successfully -- but then I'm not that
particular about the edges (often I am surprised). Is this the same issue?
wrong framelines? how about the quality of the lens (looks good to me).

Well, as to the film, I myself  love grain, where it is appropriate (low
light, intimate settings) like the picture of your son (0002). if he's like
my kids, they would just as soon not pose anyway, so the light is as you
find it. In 0006, the shadow is perfect to my eye, the highlights, eyes,
skintones in exactly the right place as to density. Even 0010, which on the
tube seems to lose the right edge of the stove has everything else it needs
to be a correct exposure.

Your last remark: "not bad particularly if you don't have a choice" sums up
all the good reasons for using this film. if you don't have a Knocktilux,
you find other ways to do what you have to do. And it works. I'm out of TMZ
at the moment, got to order some more right away.

bill h