Subject: [Leica] How much does it cost to make an M4-P2 $499? body thebuyout
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Feb 18 07:04:26 2005

Feli offered:
> Don't get me wrong, I love my M's and love to shoot film, but I am trying
> to be realistic about this. The world is changing and I would rather see
> Leica adapt and survive, than become a legend that you only  read about in
> history books.<<<,

Hi Feli,
How true! The bottom line? Two things certainly, probably more I'm sure.

Leica did not foresee the future of equipment and it's rapid move to digital
and hung onto the myth photographer's would always buy a Leica due to the
historical use by well known published photographers. Obviously that hasn't
happened. Why? Well quite simple, the digital juggar-naught is unstoppable
and if they had joined it sooner, quicker or whatever adjectives fit here.
They'd be hanging loose or in far better shape than at the moment.

However CEO's and top end researchers are not paid to do what a company did
in the past, but see the future and save the company from what we see one
more time. Leica beginning to fail as they did in the past, several
times...... damn near lost the place.hanging to the past and should have the
fore-sight to move with the times.

And two. They ran out of money or are running out so rapidly they may not
save themselves? I'd like to see them survive with any kind of luck or
whatever it takes, survive and multiply in the digital world with a digital
M style camera.

But if one takes the words of "M never change the size LUGGERS" to heart
about a digital body it maybe impossible at the moment to maintain the
coveted size and feel in hand. Therefore it's unfortunate the company as we
know it in myth, history, operation and joy may not survive.

When I see the silly suggestions of web site groups, LUG, LEG etc banding
together and buying the place it's ridiculous! Simply because how many of us
have  $10 - $20 or more millions we could drop into it at the moment.... "a
rapidly sinking ship!"  Quite frankly I trust this isn't the case and all
this crash & burn babblefish is completely meaningless conjured by, business
people Leica owners who do not have a direct line into the board room to
know the absolute economic truth.

I suggest we relax, go take pictures and watch what happens on the morrow.

ted

Message from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli) ([Leica] How much does it cost to make an M4-P2 $499? body thebuyout)