Subject: [Leica] Interview re. Leica-Olympus-Panasonic manage
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sun Feb 13 06:41:04 2005

Ah, Mark, Mark, Mark - So point and shoot cameras are "the toy biz?"
Then I guess the only thing that's kept Leica afloat for how long has
been "the toy biz," eh? And as to your point about Olympus not moving on
from the excellent OM manual focus line - which, btw, was available and
in production up until at least - I believe - the end of the 90s - to
autofocus, I seem to recall a certain German camera company that many
here worship that made precisely the same decision, and you, among
others, sing that company's praise for having done just that. (Although
the manual focus SLRs are financial losers for the company, and if it
weren't for the rangefinders, would have driven the company clean out of
business.)

So the irony, is that virtually everything you're saying about Olympus's
history is that the precise same criticisms can be made of Leica. The
only difference is that Olympus WAS an early digital adopter, has a
solid, money making position in the P&S and prosumer digital market, and
is getting itself established with a unique offering, of value to folks
other than Olympus owners, in pro digital.

Four-thirds may or may not have been a wise move - but it is a bold move
- and precisely the kind of move Matani would make. Actually, the only
real question about the 4/3 system is whether Olympus and Kodak can
figure out how to crank out images with low noise and high resolution as
they add more and more pixels to that smaller sensor. I've heard tell
that the engineers believe they can ultimately get the 4/3 sensor up to
25 mpg! But what I want to know is whether they can get it up to 8-10
and turn out an image that competes with the two front runners. They've
done it at 5-6, and but for noise at 800 and up, they've done it at 8
mgp. But because high isos are important to me, I'm waiting to see what
happens as they climb the ladder. Certainly they are improving camera
features, and updating firmware regularly, so.....

But as to the first half of your rant...plug in the name Leica and you
won't have to change a thing. :-)

B. D.