Subject: [Leica] Not pretending
From: corkflor at iol.ie (Alex Hurst)
Date: Sat Feb 12 02:22:44 2005

Ruben wrote:

>I am totally with Nathan on this one - Using Leica glass is fine on
>what ever media it is recorded - the camera houses of Leica - how
>lovely they may be - are just film and lens holders - and it is none
>on this lists fault tha Leica have not pulled their managing heads
>out of their managing butts years ago and produced fine digatal
>cameras for us and for our Leica glass !

That is indeed the problem, and Leica probably won't live to rue the
day unless they get excellent digital bodies out fast. They really
haven't revolutionised the market since the introduction of the
M3....... :-)

>I do like traditionally Leica talk too and on other lists like
>RangfinderForum they do not seem to have a problem with talking
>oldstyle - not at all - and there also find time to joke af go off
>topic in a good way - so Cheer Up Didier - this is a fine list only
>onder little influence from canons digital sensors :-)

The LUG is a very different list now from the early days when Brian
first set it up. It always has been a freewheeling forum, and I can
see no reason why digital topics shouldn't loom large, given the
irreversible transformation of the photo market over the past couple
of years.

My Cork dealer has now gone totally digital, and I no longer get the
chance to search for gems on his groaning s/h shelves. There are now
just a few film bodies, and those are priced very cheaply to sell
ASAP.

For myself, I'm quite happy to soldier on using classic film cameras
in a 'semi-digital' way (develop film + CD only). It's only recently
that there has been this imperative that you must see what you've got
immediately. It doesn't worry me - after all these years of burning
film, I know pretty well what I've got, and a 24 hour wait to see the
result doesn't worry me.

In fact there is some curious statistic somewhere that 90% of digital
images never get printed - hence the manufacturers pushing hi-tech
digital printers for the masses.

What the semi-digital route gives you is the ability to edit very
easily and quickly from the CD to identify the 'keepers' (in my case
I'm still batting 3 to 4 per roll). Then it's back to scanning real
film and producing great prints from that 20Mb plus of PS data.......

Best

Alex

--
Alex Hurst
Waterfall

Tel: +353 214 543 328 (H)
        +353 214 270 907 (W)

Fax: +353 214 271 248
email: corkflor@iol.ie
Also: corkflor.2@virgin.net (when in the UK, which isn't often)
Home website: http://www.iol.ie/~corkflor/
Business website: http://www.corkflorists.com/

Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) public key available at:
http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371
ID: 0x5BB72019

Message from nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Not pretending)
Message from ruben at rhodos.dk (Ruben) ([Leica] Not pretending)