Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 29, Issue 151
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Thu Feb 10 14:33:11 2005

 > PS Ted if you make a try of a full format digital EOS with a Leica lens
 > may be you'll be surprised of the final quality!<,

 >Felix,
 >Don't scare me. ;-) Is this for good or bad surprise? :-)
 >ted

Ted

It's a very good one! I tried to say that an EOS 1Ds gets the best and
the worst from  whatever lens you could use, so the better glass you use
the better output you get. This camera does not forgive any defect so
you cannot use mediocre lens. I had to avoid such a practical zoom as
the Canon 28-135 IS with image stabilization  as the corners of the
image were really soft. Bearing in mind that most Leica lenses all of
you are using with Canon are excellent the result with a 1Ds will shine!
I believe that Frank Dernie, another Ds user, has a great experience.
Tina is using the 100 APO, 80 1.4 and 19mm three outstanding pieces of
glass. It's true that the 100 macro, the 85 1.2 and the 20 2.8 from
Canon are excellent but I do not believe are better than Leicas. Perhaps
the 85 1,2 could be at the level. I ignore as I have not this lens.

I, like Phong, followed his way and use my 1Ds with 14, 15, 16-35, 28-70
and 100-400 Canon L lenses but it's because I'm more and more lazy and
adore the AF and AE systems that work so well! But having R lenses and
using with the 1Ds you get the best of two worlds and the launching of R
Digital Back will not change that.

Regards

Felix