Subject: [Leica] Buying advice - Grey vs. USA
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Thu Feb 10 15:42:22 2005

Is that the minimum advertised price (MAP) on their site or did you get
an actual quote? Usually they quote cheaper than the MAP.

If you buy grey, Leica NJ will not do any warranty repairs. If you send
it to them they will forward it (at your expense) to Leica Solms.
Unfortunately, even if you buy an official US lens, it will still have
to go back to Leica Solms as they are the only place that repairs
lenses with aspherical elements.

I like to buy officially distributed gear. I have had two minor
readjustments covered under their "passport" warranty and one faulty
item replaced. Adjustments and replacements from stock are (usually)
quickly done. Trips to Solms or replacement stock from Solms are
another matter and can involve lengthy waits and repeated inaccurate
ETAs.

John Collier

Message from driggett at mac.com (Christopher Driggett) ([Leica] Buying advice - Grey vs. USA)