Subject: [Leica] Translation help wanted
From: bernard.degaute at skynet.be (Bernard Degaute)
Date: Wed Feb 9 07:32:39 2005

>Let's make a try:
>
>"Freiberuflicher Stock Fotograf"
>
>This would be the correct translation; but it sounds a bit odd, but it
>works. I guess many people will not know what ist is (at least those who
>are not into photography).
>
>Maybe some other german speaking LUGgers have a better proposition?
>
>In french it's the same with "Stock", haven't found any particular french
>term for it. So it would be:
>
>"Photographe de Stock ind?pendant"
>
>Note the accent "egu" on the first "e" of independant, thats a little slash
>that goes from down left to up right. If it's used as a title, Photographe
>and Stock begin with a capital, otherwise not; same rule as in english. If
>it's all written in capitals, no accents are needed.
>
>Hallo les amis, est-ce que quelqu'un a une meilleure proposition pour
Gerry?

I don't know if it's a better proposition but I suggest : "Photographe
ind?pendant - banque d'images" or "Photographe ind?pendant avace banque
d'images". As Didier suggests there is not a good transalation (I think)
which associates stock and photographer. I never read something like
"Photographe de banque d'images" - it doesn't sound French. It's easier to
explain how to meter a black cat on the snow.....My cent.

Bernard
bernard.degaute@skynet.be

Replies: Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] Translation help wanted)