Subject: [Leica] Don's PAW 5 More of the same
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Feb 6 08:07:54 2005

Steve,
Thank you for commenting.  If the new city was interesting in any way
then it would be progress.  Unfortunately, in Atlanta, we have
progressed from 5 over 4 faux colonials to faux row houses with out all
the wonderful architectural adornments and the local shops supporting a
vibrant neighborhood.

One of the things that bewilders me, is if the builders would wander one
or two miles they would find authentic neighborhoods that are what is
driving demand for their product.  People are paying San Francisco
prices just to live in a neighborhood with parks, space, unique
architecture, schools and shops in walking distance.  If the developers
would just duplicate what was, they could increase sales and profits.
Instead, they are offering a suburban ghetto close in.

For example, when I visited my brother in Gilbert, I discovered the same
thing.  Nice houses, walled in, nothing that could be walked to or even
neighbors that could be approached.  His children could not walk to the
school five blocks away due to the four lane road separating the
neighborhood from the school.  Nope, no crosswalks, lights, bridge, or
other means to get to the other side.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com