Subject: [Leica] Quiz time....
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Thu Feb 3 08:02:47 2005

I recently read - heard - that only about 50% of MIT grads end up in a
field related to their major.
However - they end up with an MIT degree, which can be a passport to
virtually anything they want to do because it says "smarter than smart."

And as to the math degree and schlepping for an NYC photog - to that I
say, "Good for her!" As I said to her at the end of the course, I was
sure that if she decided to abandon math and go into photography she
would be heard from some day. And I still believe it.

If the students I get in my courses - writing and the photo course - are
any vaguely real sample - there are a hell of allot of kids at MIT on
the undergrad level who are their because their parents have pushed very
hard for them to be there. I find this especially true with the Asian
and South Asian kids, some of whom have told me flat out that not only
were they 'told' to go to MIT, they are 'told' by their fathers what to
major in - and they often hate their majors.