Subject: [Leica] color balance poll
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Feb 3 01:12:41 2005

On 2/2/05 11:16 AM, "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> typed:

> It's off in the top one, but only slightly so. To my eyes, at least, the
> top one gives us a relatively realistic scene. The bottom one simply
> says 'wrong film.'

They bottom was waaaaay yellow and you took that out but that left you with
an image with not enough density to be able to correct color with. To light.

Its darn hard to correct color for an image which is too dark of too light.

I think the auto color thing in Photoshop works real well if I'm in a
clueless state. Or just in a hurry. As long as I get the density close
enough. Often by playing with the levels individually in the curves, R then
G then B.
Other times the auto levels or auto contrast will fix the color better than
the auto color.
I try all three autos rather than think. Then use the one which worked the
best on that particular image. Then see if I can improve on it. The fade to
see how much I screwed up.

If I'm not in 16 bit I'll do the variations thing.

If I'm really in a jam I'll convert it to CMYK as I printed color for years
and I know those colors better than RGB any day.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/