Subject: [Leica] Relevant info
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (Bob Palmieri)
Date: Wed Feb 2 07:24:10 2005

Y'all -

Ducking in, as is my custom, with a coupla things that I thought some
might find useful.

Got my main M6 back from Don Goldberg after a finder upgrade and CLA.
I must say, if anyone's considering this anti-patch-flare thing it
really has made a big difference for me.

Also had Don go over my 35mm 4th gen. 'Cron.  The focus is much stiffer
now, which at first seemed like kindof a drag (so to speak.)  However,
I now find that I can focus the thing consistently in one pull (or
push) of the tab instead of overshooting the mark and coming back.
Whaddya know; sometimes stiffer is better.  Although I sometimes find
myself clicking the shutter in gleeful celebration of having nailed the
focus instead of really waiting for the best shot...

Also got the latest upgrade for Silverfast AI, which includes some
supposedly pretty discriminating grain reduction options.
There's also a new dust & scratch filter that works with B&W emulsions;
we'll see how good these things really are after a few weeks of use.
Although I must admit that I'm not feeling as warm & fuzzy towards
these folks after Mark Rabiner's report on their scanner-specific
ownership policies...

Bob Palmieri