Subject: [Leica] Digilux 2 Manual Focus Questions
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Feb 1 20:01:22 2005

Dick said and asked:

> At 90 mm and 8 feet from a subject, my D2 reads 6 feet; at 28 mm, 1.5
> feet.  Manual focus works fine at both focal lengths, but the
> camera-to-subject distances are way off.<<<<<<

Hi Dick,

Best bet on manual?  Forget the number and things... manually focus and if
it looks in focus......... shoot! If you start looking at things engraved on
wherever it's engraved and to be number perfect you'll go absolutely crazy.
Just use auto everything and 99.9999% of the time it works absolutely
perfect. :-)

> Also, focusing at 90 mm then zooming to 28 mm does not work.  The lens
> appears to be a variable focal length lens, not a true zoom lens.  The
> manual (p 133) recommends focusing at 90 mm, then zooming back, but this
> clearly does not work (at least for me).<<<<<

Yeah well most of the time Leica manuals constantly leave a great deal to
the users imagination and ability to handle a camera.

> Auto focus works just fine.<<<<<

Yep and so does everything else I've found with mine.

Oh jeeeesh don't do that it'll drive you into the looney-bin house.  Best to
take pictures, use it as much as you can making sure it's doing ok and
giving you good captures. Don't waste time tryig to figure out what the
camera will do because then you'll find out all things it might not do! And
be as disappointed as all get out you bought one. ;-)

>I've had some problems with manual focus recently and it looks like you
>can't depend on the distance scale at any focal length. <<<<<<<<<

Jeeeeeesh! See there you go eh? Finding out things that don't do "what you
think they should!" Then you tell us and every other owner gets tight under
knickers when they can't find out what yer finding out . Then all those
owners get the willies worring cause maybe they got a problem.

Do you realize up to this point all those Digilux 2 owners believe they have
the camera of the century and yer screwing-up all their beliefs in Leica
digital abilities? ;-) Whatever you do don't tell anymore secrets about the
camera, let them find out for themselves! ;-)  And smile a lot! :-) :-) :-)
:-)

ted

Replies: Reply from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) ([Leica] Digilux 2 Manual Focus Questions)