Subject: [Leica] PAW 4 - 2005 - Lee Hermann
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Feb 1 08:08:26 2005

Lee showed:

>> Attached is PAW 4 - 2005.  This was shot at the Cafe Amelie, in
>> Paris.  This man was eating his lunch and reading.  I was struck with the
>> colors.  I hope someone enjoys.  Comments appreciated.<<<
>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/Lee-Hermann-album/at_lunch<<<<<<

Hi Lee,
To be bluntly truthful there are a couple of things wrong here.

A:
An exposure with no content! yes you knew he was reading the paper because
you saw him doing it. But you didn't really put it on film.Having his lunch?
Eating? So where does he really look like he's eating? And where is whatever
he's reading? Actually hidden behind a chair and coat.

B:
You said >> "  I was struck with the colors. " <<<  ?????????
Quite frankly it looks like you used a daylight balanced slide film indoors
and ended up with "bad colour." Or it's colour neg not filter corrected. At
what point did you like the colour? When you sat down and looked around the
bar - restaurant? Or after the film was processed and you were doing your
edit??

But the colour shown here is, well sorry, it doesn't look right. However, it
may well have been what it looked like, but that doesn't make it look any
better in the picture. And I'd have gone B&W! And for my eye the colour
looks like it requires some correction in PS or with filtration. Did the
room really look that yellowish colour?

A few suggestions:

1: because in effect you did a "sneaky picture" . ;-) Camera on table
pointed in the subjects direction, now lost behind chair with jacket, then
it was finger on camera "click shutter" where viewers now can't tell what
he's doing and only surmise.

We can see him, but what he's doing is really lost behind the chair and
jacket. Why not just lift the camera to your eye and shoot it heads-up?
Certainly if you were taken with the colour and subject? Heck HCB and others
started all this kind of in cafe stuff, so  Parisians are accustomed to
people in cafes with cameras pointed in every which way. ;-) However, "some
times NOT!:-(

2: There's a mirror to his right as you see part of him reflected. The
mirror was an asset to your picture if you'd made use of it by moving to
your right and capturing "two of him reading and eating!"  Also creating a
double capture on the colour you like. Whenever there are mirrors around
it's a good bet they can be incorporated as a bonus to your picture.

By the same token they can be a big pain in the butt because they show too
much. But with a little imagination, usually they can be a bonus.

At least you're making the effort of putting stuff on film. And I trust your
postings are working as a learning experience.
ted

Replies: Reply from lkhermann at bresnan.net (lkhermann) ([Leica] PAW 4 - 2005 - Lee Hermann)