Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 4: Big fish
From: deveney.marty at saugov.sa.gov.au (Deveney, Marty (PIRSA))
Date: Mon Jan 31 14:29:16 2005

Nathan said:
>As I often do, I went for a walk in our outdoors food market Saturday
>morning. Especially the fish stand often provides rich photographic
>pickings. This time there was something new. The fishmongers had put out
>a huge creature

Brian replied:
>That looks like a Conger Eel to me. Bleah.
>South Americans know how to cook them, as Congria.

Absolutely, this is a European conger eel (Conger conger).  Scarily enough
this is only and average sized adult.  They grow to 3 m and 110 kg (10 feet
and 242 pounds).
http://filaman.uni-kiel.de/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?ID=301&genusname=Conge
r&speciesname=conger

I'm a marine biologist and love fish markets.

>Alligator is also common in Florida, usually in form of ribs or tail. I
>personally like the tail, but I find the ribs taste like chicken with a
>fishy aftertaste, no big deal.

I haven't eaten crocodile since I left Queensland, but the taste of all
reptiles seems to depend heavily on what they're fed.  Farmed crocs taste
just like the chickens they get fed, while wild-harvest ones taste fishier.

Marty