Subject: [Leica] What is the best non ttl flash to use?
From: joseph at yao.com (Joseph Yao)
Date: Sat Jan 29 22:50:05 2005

Late Vivitar 283s are OK.  I tested mine (mid-'90s, Chinese made) and it has
a low trigger voltage of under 10V.  I have been using it with my R-D1 and
LC1 and there has been no problem.

I agree early 283s ('70s, Japanese made) had very high trigger voltage, in
excess of 200V if I recall correctly.

Joseph