Subject: [Leica] I'm done kicking myself
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri Jan 28 10:21:26 2005

Doug,
The fragility of calcium fluorite is much overrated.  The two best long
(300 and 500) telephotos in the Canon stable have had large diameter
fluorite elements since they were designed.  I haven't heard much
screaming from NANPA of destroyed lenses.  I have had one fluorite lens
for ten years or so and with normal abuse have had no problems.

Worst case scenario is that you rent an R8/9 and the lens.  Even you
will admit that the R8/9 viewfinder is almost as good as your SL :)

Have you tried begging Leica N.J. for a loaner while yours is out?

Good luck,

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com