Subject: [Leica] Consumerism?
From: joelct at singnet.com.sg (Joseph Low)
Date: Fri Jan 28 07:43:15 2005

             Amen

-----Original Message-----
From: lug-bounces+joelct=singnet.com.sg@leica-users.org
[mailto:lug-bounces+joelct=singnet.com.sg@leica-users.org]On Behalf Of B D
Colen
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2005 06:26
To: lug@leica-users.org

Joseph suggested that consumerism and planned obsolescense "was introduced
by
the Japanese after WW II - their onslaught of the mass market - witness the
rapid succession of improved models or Mark II of major items they sold from
automobiles to cameras, electronic apparatus, TV etc etc..."

I'd suggest that all he or anyone else has to do is look to American ads
from
before World War II to see that virtually everything the Japanese have
done -
we taught them. :-) Look at Detroit's annual introduction of new car models.
Look at the changing face of kitchen appliances on a regular basis - and
often
the only thing new is the color-of-the-year. Look at T.V.s. Consumerism is,
if
I may borrow a phrase from the civil rights activist turned lunatic late H.
Rap
Brown, "as American as apple pie." ;-)

And, yes, thank God for the repair people who can keep quality gear such as
Leicas going. But, yes, they are indeed a dying breed.