Subject: [Leica] Re: film for the trip
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed Jan 26 20:59:23 2005

Christopher Williams wrote:

> Kodak UC is a pro film, around $7-$8.00 in a local camera store, of course
> B&H will be cheaper.
>
> I have never seen film at a good price in Ireland, pro or non-pro. Maybe
> there's a hefty tax for the companies bringing it in?
>
> Now since the US dollar is worth about 1 peso, it's even more $$$ overseas
> for us Americanos. No complaints, I do love Europe.

In a small market like Ireland there is not much competition, and so
prices will tend to be high. There is a VAT included in the price, which
is higher than the typical US sales tax, but that does not explain the
high price. There are no import tariffs on film, and anyway most of the
films sold in Europe are made in the EU (at least that is true for
Kodak, and obviously Agfa and Ilford). No, it is simply a matter of lack
of competition in a small market. When I lived in Gainesville, FL, film
and all other things photographic were also pretty expensive because
there were only 2 shops in town catering to photographers; of course you
could buy consumer C41 film at Kmart, Walmart etc., but for slide film
and B&W you had to go to Harmon's.

Nathan
--
Nathan Wajsman