Subject: [Leica] A Proud owner of an Epson R-D1 camera w/ 3 Leica lenses.
From: driggett at mac.com (Christopher Driggett)
Date: Wed Jan 26 16:54:11 2005

Hello again,
        I have just purchased an Epson R-D1 camera with 3 Leica lenses.  I
agonized over wether to get the MP or M7 or R-D1.  I was impressed with
the feel and ergonomics of the Epson. Felt like a very solid camera.
The mp I like the look of but I prefer to have the shutter dial of the
M7 closer to he front of the camera for front access with my finger.
The gentleman at the store said that he had a used M7 barely used only
4 rolls of film bought by some rich kid and would sell it for 500
dollars cheaper. I asked if it still would carry the warranty and he
did not know. So I called Leica USA to ask. They looked up the serial
number and found out that it was registered in 2000 so it was not
covered by warranty.  So much for the M7 being just used!  I debated
between the M7 and the Epson R-D1. Film costs was about 13 dollars all
told vs free digital cards. FIlm could be scanned at development time
and I would get a cd full of digital images. This would take two days.
The R-D1 on the other hand would be immediately available. I also
remembered how being able to change the iso of the film from 200 to
1600 in mid-roll was a great advantage so another point to the R-D1.
The R-D1 having the 1.0x viewfinder was another point in it's favor. I
decided in the end to go for the R-D1 and get three Leica lenses. I am
waiting for the battery to fully charge before I use it. One less point
for digital, having to wait for the initial charge of the battery.

More to come,
Chris