Subject: [Leica] Rolex - was Doomed: Leica MP 0.58x
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Wed Jan 26 03:41:59 2005

It's funny that cars and watches often come up when the topic is about
longevity and mechanical precision of cameras. So here my few pesos:

Watches:
I have a mechanical, russian made Poljot Aviator Chronograph ($150) that
has less than 1 sec/day tolerance, constantly, since years. That's
significantly better than the $15'000 IWC Portugieser a friend of mine has
to send back to the factory all 6 months because it runs off 5 min/day...

Cars:
I know a film producer that is driving a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud 1 his
father had bought in 1956. The car has 850'000 km and still runs. My friend
has roughly calculated that the costs since 1956 (purchase of the new car,
all maintainings and repairs, including inflation) are significantly lower
than if they would have bought a new Volkswagen (Beetle and later
Golf/Rabbit) all five years.

:-D
Didier

Replies: Reply from joelct at singnet.com.sg (Joseph Low) ([Leica] Rolex - was Doomed: Leica MP 0.58x)