Subject: [Leica] RE: OT: A little history
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Tue Jan 25 15:06:49 2005

Having spent the majority of my life working for technology manufacturing
companies, I can assure you that this is absolutely untrue.

While there may be industries in which there is planned obsolescence, the
computer industry is not one of them.

The issue in the computer industry is that the engineers keep coming up with
new stuff that is very much better than what existed a year ago. If you
don't sell it, then your competitors will. If you don't innovate, you go out
of business. Relentless innovation leaves a trail of obsolete devices, but
if you start feeling sorry for the people who have to buy new ones, and slow
down a little, they'll just buy from your competitors.

In fact, quite the opposite is true. Development in the technology industry
is in general hindered by a desire to be compatible with the past. If the
hardware and software companies didn't worry about compatibility with the
past, they could probably innovate 20% faster than they are doing now.

No one is forcing you to buy newer faster better cameras and computers. As
many people have said here, a 2.1 megapixel camera still takes great
pictures. So why are camera companies racing to make and sell cameras with
more megapixels? Because people will buy them. People want them. This isn't
a conspiracy, it's just market demand at work.

Replies: Reply from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] RE: OT: A little history)