Subject: [Leica] the business model
From: mjblug at total.net (Michael Blugerman)
Date: Mon Jan 24 23:37:16 2005

I didn't want to continue the "doomed" thread!

Clive says:
There are two classes of companies:
(1) -Those wedded to a single, often brilliant,  product concept
(2)- Those wedded to innovation, damn the consequences to their
current business and products.

The first class develop companies with a loyal customer base who love
their superior product, even if nobody else buys it.

The second class thrives in the long run.

Xerox makes copiers. very good ones. They are really in the finance
business. They want to sell leases on copiers which they finance. Their
profit engine is the financing model. Just as the lease is running out,
there are several generations of their product that they have issued in
the interim and they would like you to upgrade to a model with more,
better features - some of which you didn't know you needed. And they
offer a trade in for your "old" machine. I realized that as long as I
was going to run a business I was going to have a lease with Xerox!!
The best I could do was to become a little more savvy about the fine
art of leasing.

I could not afford to have ownership of a copy machine that broke down
- if we didn't ship documents for clients, we didn't get paid. I bought
a service package that would keep producing copies no matter what
machine.

Microsoft would like no one to own it's software: it hopes that one day
you will lease on a monthly service basis, software services, on-line.
The idea of a "good object" that will last a lifetime is a dying breed.
Computer printers are the doorway to cartridge ink sales just like the
razor is the doorway to blade sales.

I use a parker 51 fountain pen (circa 1962). It cost $25 then, I think.
I use it everyday and enjoy my clients asking what I am doing with the
bottle of ink when I fill it! Many have never seen a fountain pen or
tell me that their grandfather had one. I have "bic pens" that cost .03
each around the office, but I write 6 - 7 hours a day and I feel better
writing with this pen. I have had very expensive, fancier pens given to
me over the years that haven't been able to touch all of the qualities
of that Parker 51.

I and anyone on this list could probably take great pictures with
several cameras or lenses - the names are often mentioned on this list.
There is obviously something about the feel and feedback of a Leica
that enhances the creative process and productivity. There is something
about the signature of a Leica lens, even if lab reports cannot measure
it.

I bought a Digilux 2 in order to keep in the Leica fold: I have M's and
R's and lenses. I perhaps paid more for it than less for a cheaper
camera which I could have used to produce most of the images that I
will use it for - but I wanted to be loyal to my faith in Leica
quality. So that even on days when my image may not "cut it" on this
list, knowing what my camera is capable of, would inspire me to try a
little harder!

My only disappointment is that the lens is not interchangeable -
although 28 -90mm accounts for most of my needs and that the ISO is
limited. I think this limitation is some to do with the sensor and some
to do with the software. If Leica could come out with a sensor that
delivered enough megapixels and would update the software through ROM
enhancements over time, one could buy a Leica digital knowing that the
camera wasn't a commodity but a "good object" that would be in service
over time.

Only Leica knows the actual value of the a la carte program: it may be
a distraction to those of us who wait impatiently for the next serious
product from Leica. It may serve the purpose of keeping the Leica
Marque current and challenge the market of people with the disposable
income to want to own a piece of the legend. In a commoditized world,
people have a hunger for quality and the creation of "value" is the
major challenge. In the lineup of Panasonic cameras that come out every
six months at different price points, the consumer has no idea of value
except for more pixels, more this or that - but there is a Leica lens.
Pentax doesn't have that.

It seems to me that once we are in the 10 - 15 megapixel range, the
remaining frontiers are sensors, software and then the linkage to
printers for print or to storage or transmission to the end user. One
of the issues that caught my attention about the Digilux was the
possible choice of a HDTV shaped format. If one wanted to do a
presentation on the new HDTV format screens that will be in homes over
the next few years, the format from the camera was there without the
letterbox black or cropping. The inclusion of RAW transformations in
photoshop software CS or Elements for the Digilux was a big move to
"longevity" of my camera. The ability to transform the digital image to
the desired output - print, LCD screen or whatever - needs to be as
seamless as possible.

At the end of the day, the camera is a tool. It is one thing to make
the user feel better or proud of his equipment but there is a point -
bringing the image to an audience who sees value - in all of the
emerging ways that images are being presented. I am enjoying my Ipod
and Mac. Apple has been enjoying a great run lately in the digital hub
notion. People want their music, images and printed material to share
with others, to enjoy personally and for some, to make a living from
the elimination of complexity of the creative process.

The easier that is to accomplish, the more people want to try it
themselves. Then that creates the specialty or niche market, where
people want to push the envelope and will buy and use finer equipment
somewhere in the creative workflow to get the edge and create value.

I give Leica a lot of credit for taking its time to make the next move;
I don' t think Leica was ever priced as an everyman product. II think
it would be a mistake for them to enter the commoditization rat-race.
While we may be impatient for the digital back for R or M lenses, I
don't see the future in these items as objects the way I did in an M
camera or an R camera. The innovation will have to be more in the line
of a Leica image processing system than the "gold watch" fine object
that one bought or received and then kept for "life". The 'value' will
be seen in the utilization factors for the photographer and the ease
with which the system makes a felt contribution to the end-user
concerning the 'image' in whatever format that may be.

Michael Blugerman