Subject: [Leica] OT: Palpal scam
From: tkr at puffball.demon.co.uk (Tim Rylance)
Date: Mon Jan 24 14:34:28 2005

> One quick way to test is to click on the link and enter a BAD
> password...if it is legit it will come back with an error...if it is
> a scam it will not know and besides someone somewhere will waste time
> trying to steal your money with a bad password...much more fun than
> merely deleting the mail...and if we all did that they would give up...

This is not a good idea.  The bad guy can simply forward what you type
to Paypal immediately (keeping a copy of your account name and password),
and copy Paypal's replies back to you.  It's called a "man in the middle"
attack.

Much better to just delete the message and spend your energies contibuting
to one of the "daguerrotype is doomed" threads.

Tim Rylance <tkr@puffball.demon.co.uk>