Subject: [Leica] Doomed: Leica MP 0.58x
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli)
Date: Sat Jan 22 01:07:41 2005

The point was that Hasselblad seems to finally gotten the message and
is trying to
do something about it, even if it's late in the game.  Meanwhile over
in Solms they still appear to be pretty clueless.

Obviously both companies in trouble and there is a good chance that
they will not make it.

But in general I think we seem to be on the verge of a shakeout in the
market as a whole.

How long do you think Minolta/Konica or Pentax is going to be able to
hang in there?
Is Olympus far behind? From a distance it appears that really only
Canon and maybe Sony in the consumer market are really secure. For the
past few years Nikon has been looking like it's one serious screw up
away from being a footnote in photographic history. If they drop the
ball with the D2x, they are done for in anything but the prosumer
market. The D2H was a big misstep; the 1d II pretty much annihilated it
the day it came out.

So, I think it's safe to say that the entire market is in turmoil.

feli