Subject: [Leica] 20D B&W
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Fri Jan 21 11:03:05 2005

Especially with digital files is there a way to avoid noise in the dark
areas?

Isn't this a precise case of linear gamma getting us? Not enough bits
down in the deep grays?

It's sure the reason to shoot RAW and push the exposure so you can get
some of the blacks back. By working with the RAW image and then making
16bit color images - you can go to 16 bit grayscale from there using
Photoshop or some other tool and after playing with things a bit then
go to 8 bit at the end. Keeping all the exposure data for the three
channels it's possible to recover some highlights that might otherwise
be "blown" but which don't fully saturate all of the individual color
channels.

This seems to be working for me as I play with it. Bruce Fraser has an
excellent book titled: "Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS" that's
worth a look for those who are wanting to work in available darkness
with digital.

Adam