Subject: [Leica] Re: Printer Paper
From: bparsons at jhancock.com (bparsons@jhancock.com)
Date: Wed Jan 19 08:00:03 2005

I am reading Aaron's comment about flaking and wondering how to proceed.

The reason for my concern is that when I matte and frame pictures, I dust
them with a fox tail brush before enclosing them. ?I have found that matte
papers, and in particular the Epson HW matte, shows brush strokes if I am
not e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y light fingered. ?This makes me wonder about the
sleeve method.

Of course, this is on a finished print, but if I can abrade the surface
with a fox tail brush, then I can do so before I print as well.

So, still wondering.

Bill Parsons
601 Congress Street, Boston, MA
617-663-2592
(cell) 617-680-2779
|+------------------------------+-----------------------------------------|
||   "Aaron Sandler"            |                                         |
||   <aaron.sandler@duke.edu>   |   ? ? ? ? To: ? ? ? ?"Leica Users Group"|
||   Sent by:                   |   <lug@leica-users.org>                 |
||   lug-bounces+bparsons=jhanco|   ? ? ? ? cc:                           |
||   ck.com@leica-users.org     |   ? ? ? ? Subject: ? ? ? ?Re: [Leica]   |
||                              |   Re: Printer Paper                     |
||   01/19/2005 10:53 AM        |                                         |
||   Please respond to "Leica   |                                         |
||   Users Group"               |                                         |
|+------------------------------+-----------------------------------------|

In the spirit of KISS, I use two papers in my Epson 2200, both matte:

1) Epson Enhanced Matte for proofing and more...Cheap ($12 for a box of 50
at www.atlex.com), looks great, supposed to have good archival properties
(with pigment ink).

2) Hahnemuhle PhotoRag for fancy prints...Expensive ($60 for a box of 50
double-weight, or $50 for single-weight, at atlex), looks even better for
most prints, great archival properties. ?I've never had a flaking problem
yet (only on my second box, though)...I run the HPR sheets lightly over my
sleeve before printing to remove any paper dust that might result in
flaking...and as a kind of ritual.

A **major** advantage to this pairing is that I find I rarely have to make
more than the most minor adjustment to go from my proof print on EEM to my
final print on HPR, and often no adjustment at all...I waste the EEM to get
the print just right, and then the first on HPR is usually great. ?I'm
tempted to try the Costco paper, but I'm afraid of the pain of having to
make adjustments when going to HPR.

Hope that helps some,
Aaron