Subject: [Leica] PAW 2005: Wk3
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Tue Jan 18 12:26:37 2005

This is how it went:

I needed a good winter shot for the print exchange program, but we didn't
get much of a winter untill now. I looked around for two weeks to find
something that I'd like to shoot for this purpose, untill I realised that
right across our door, a part of what I needed was available: the street
scene. All I needed was some rain, to get the right reflections. Luckily we
have lot's of rain here.

I metered it at f.2 at 1/4th.

Next I imagined somebody to look up to the lights to complete the scene. I
recruted my wife, who was so kind to walk, stand and freezz there for about
half an hour, to try different poses.

The day after, I dropped the Agfa Vista ( nothing to recommend BTW) at a 1
hour lab, scanned it and started some PS on it. The colours were almost as
you see them on the neg: the lights are really yellow in reality, too.

Some dodging and burning in PS followed, some test printing, too (had to
enhance contrast to get a good result on the Epson, with matte archival
paper).

Then I found it still lacked something and finally decided to put some snow
in the image.

The result is a JPG of what I described above. The print starting from the
TIFF is better in fact.

I'm still hesitating to print the final image on the Epson, on whatever
paper (archival matte, satin, gloss), or to send it to a lab and get it
printed on real photo paper: in the dark zones there are more subtle tone
variations than I can get on the Epson, and it takes about 15 minutes per
image ot print it.
I've also been thinking of putting the image to B&W, but for once I like it
in color. For me, it has a nice, almost monochrome retro feel to it that I
was looking for.

Anyways, thanks for your comments, Richard.

Cheers and happy snappin'
Philippe
---