Subject: [Leica] Kyle - Terrific quick portrait of a man who obviously knows how b est
From: alaxsxaq at gmail.com (Glenn Stauffer)
Date: Tue Jan 18 11:58:50 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:41:41 -0500, Richard S. Taylor
<r.s.taylor@comcast.net> wrote:
> Kyle, Glenn - I reread Glenn's comments more carefully after your
> reply, Kyle.  Frankly, I hadn't noticed any of the unflattering
> elements you found, but as is often the case, once pointed out they
> can't be ignored.  Yet, I still find this kind of shot far more
> involving than a formal portrait where all life is often scrubbed
> away.

Just a little follow up on this.  Much of my critique was based on the
thought of this as a portrait per se and with respect to an earlier
comments about the Senator perhaps liking the shot a lot.  Not really
fair considering it isn't a shot taken with the time to carefully pose
the subject and wasn't intended as a formal portrait.  For me to get
the focus spot on like this and doesn't allow for quick shooting
unless I'm seriosuly relying on the crutch of depth of field.  Shoot
that same scene with the lens stopped down too much further and it
gets wrecked since all the extraneous surroundings become
distractions.  But, Kyle doesn't need me to tell him he knows how to
use that camera, then does he. :-)

I'm spending the day in DC on Thursday trying to capture the chaotic
scene surrounding the Innauguration with my Leica IIIC.  Still trying
to decide on which lens I should take.  The 21mm CV lens offers a nice
crutch for my lack of practice with this camera.

Glenn

Replies: Reply from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) ([Leica] Kyle - Terrific quick portrait of a man who obviously knows how b est)