Subject: [Leica] Elmar 50mm f2.8 thoughts/opinions
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Jan 15 22:28:08 2005

There are lug special editions which could happen and there have been some
very successful LHSA special editions of cameras and lenses. And winders
even.

But I'm wondering if to get a screw mount option on our lenses an option of
viability might be the so far not very popular on the lug  "Leica ? la
carte". Leica has a new pentent it seems for personal customization. Give
the customer exactly what they want. But let them pay for it. This does not
sound so far off from our thread here.

If we can order any color leather and configuration of finder and what not
why not have a screw mount or Leica thread mount option?

Well one reason is that the  "Leica ? la carte" is so far a body thing and
not a lens thing. But if they are going to slow down the assembly line in
order to accommodate extra cheese and hold the pickles how far of a stretch
could it be to assume they might also do this on the lens assembly lines?

They certainly need to offer black paint lenses to accommodate the black
paint bodies which seem to be taking over the universe. And this phenomenon
very much a product of Bill Rosauer LHSA edition gems!

So far they've had black chrome, chrome, retro chrome (the 50) and black
paint. Why not LTM if that's what you want on the back?

I wonder if they could come out with a current body in LTM instead of a
bayoneted mount? Flange issues? I have some flange issues myself.

I'm not sure if CV is coming out with LTM bodies any more that was their
thing at first but perhaps they've switched over. Regardless there are a lot
of LTM bodies out there now. I hope someone makes more. Like Leica!

To me the true right size of a Leica is the size of those earlier cameras.
The bayonet M cameras are just too big. And heavy.

Collapsible helps.

But collapsible on an elegant Barnack LTM camera slips right in to my pocket
and doesn't weigh it down.

Who knows the limits of Leicas recent percent for customization?

Give us screw mount options. In glass and bodies.
A new compact Barnack. If they can make an O they can make another IIIa.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/