Subject: [Leica] Trip to Australia - questions
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Tue Jan 11 13:16:50 2005

Steve,
great to hear you are making it down-under, and "sorry" I don't
probably have enough warning to get up to Sydney for that beer!!. Could
you please tell us the exact dates however, as it would be fun, and I
can always use an excuse to visit Sydney -- my old home town.

I don't have much time, but I'll make a start: Sydney is the most
beautiful harbor in the world. It and Hobart are the most beautiful
places I've ever lived. The Harbor should, rightfully, be a focus of
any visit to Sydney, and its best if you can get away from some of the
obvious tourist traps. Your friends should be onto things, but I would
suggest:
1. A trip on the Harbor by taking a round trip to Manly from Circular
Quay. Get off in Manly and wander around for a while, its a great area,
but the harbor cruise is the best around and very "cheap".

2. Take the 336 bus (the number may be wrong and I don't have time to
check) from the city to Watson's bay. The route takes you along New
South Head road, via the back of the city and Hyde park, through King's
cross and on via Rushcutter's bay, Double Bay (my old stamping ground)
Rose bay and Valcluse. You can get off at any time, walk for a while,
explore and then catch the next bus. When you get to Watson's Bay, you
have lunch at ---- my god I've forgotten the name -- a fish and chip
restaurant . Some one help me. To complete the trip, there is a water
taxi which will take you back to Circular Quay past all the bays,
islands pinch gut etc. This is the world's best day trip and apart from
lunch is very cheap.

3. Taronga zoo may not be the best zoo in the world, but its creatures
have the best views. A ferry will take you there and you can walk off
lunch from the day before by climbing the hill or take a bus.

4. Walk from Circular quay around past the Opera house and then follow
the "coast" as you walk through the gardens etc to Wooloomooloo (sp).
You then cut back to the city across via the state galleries and
Library

5. Evenings sitting in the small public  seats at the end of Darling
point, just watching and photographing the harbour go by.

6. The Rocks are good, but I'd recommend a day walking around Balmain
instead

7. the Ferry to McMahon's point

8. I've never done it, but I think you can take a ferry to the Sydney
Olympic stadium: the trip would be worth it alone

9. Finally a day trip to the Northern beaches and Pittwater, Lunching
or dining at Johnah's at Whale beach. Perfect and very romantic should
you have had any "luck" ;-)

Cheers and I must run, sorry for the spelling errors, no time to check.
let me know if you need more.