Subject: [Leica] PAW 2/2005: the birth of a rainbow
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Tue Jan 11 07:54:26 2005

Thanks Richard,

> From: "Richard S. Taylor" <r.s.taylor@comcast.net>
>
> Philippe - Nice shot.  I like the way the shadow and sunlit portions
> of the picture lead  your eye to the rainbow.  I tried tighter
> cropping on the crane to eliminate the cobblestone dock.  That made
> the rainbow more prominent, but that may not have been the effect you
> were looking for.

I tried different croppings, but I liked this one the most.
I tend to crop in function of image composition: division of the main
rectangle in smaller and equal proportioned rectangles, use of diagonals and
(optical) phi etc.
Some 20 years ago, in art school, I attended composition classes from an old
professor who tought us the principles of the classic rectangles (used by
the Greeks, but also in Rennaisance, Gothic period and Baroque), and somehow
it got into my system.

Interstnig stuff to read about this at
http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/GoldenSection.htm