Subject: [Leica] OT ! a naked walmart
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sun Jan 9 23:16:37 2005

Marc,
PMFJI, I was in Shanghai last year and became aware that if anything
would bring freedom to the Chinese it is capitalism and prosperity.
There is already great disquiet in parts of China that they are getting
left behind by the areas such as Shanghai where development is taking
place rapidly and prosperity spreading. Lets not forget how poor a
country China is, and what seem like exploitative wages to us are a
move in the right direction in China, leading to increased individual
incomes.
Growth depends on increasing markets, neither the USA nor the EU will
be able to sustain its current living standards (we spend more than we
earn) unless there is continual growth in markets. India and China are
booming and it is just as well for us, they are already able to afford
to buy from us - we need that.
History shows that it is a free market economy that brings prosperity
to a country, there are prosperous countries of the full spectrum of
political colours, as long as there is free market economy.
The weak are exploited to an extent everywhere, in civilised countries
the extent is limited by legal restriction. Let us hope the Chinese
people become prosperous trading partners (but the prices will rise
:-))
It is my view that the government in China (and the former USSR for
that matter) only played lip service to communism. Huge wealth and
privilege gaps still exist they have plenty in common with any non
democratic dictatorships in the world, right or left.
Frank