Subject: [Leica] Re: HCB ... again
From: luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll)
Date: Tue Jan 4 16:37:07 2005

Hi Hans,

I like very much your B&W shots!
Saludos cordiales,
Luis

-----Mensaje original-----
De: lug-bounces+luisripoll=telefonica.net@leica-users.org
[mailto:lug-bounces+luisripoll=telefonica.net@leica-users.org]En nombre de
Hans Pahlen
Enviado el: mi?rcoles, 05 de enero de 2005 1:23
Para: Leica Users Group
Asunto: Re: [Leica] Re: HCB ... again

I am a great admirer of HCB... I think his best work is from Paris, during
many years. It seems to me that he -like so many of us- often went out with
his camera to cover events or just simple everyday things. An example of
this are his pics from the 1968 students riots in Paris, great pics in his
style, also his way of commenting what was happening. They are
photojournalistic pics, not news pics, all with his special touch.
I also like his portraits, there is a book with portraits only, you will get
lots of inspiration for making avialiable light portraits with a 50mm lens.
A portrait in a persons home environment adds charachter and is more
interesting than a conventional tele shot, IMHO.
The only not-so-good HCB pics I know of, are the ones he took during a weeks
visit to Sweden (my own country). They are mostly clich? and a cheap comment
on the "Swedish sin". He took these pics for a Swedish newspaper, I guess he
was in a hurry.
Sometimes I think I may be able to see the world just like him. I need to be
very concentrated on looking for pics, with my camera ready. Now and then
things come together for a pic in his style:
Here are some samples from Paris with a LTM Leica III and pre-WW2 Elmar 50:
http://www.hanspahlen.fotosidan.se/viewpic.htm?ID=198254
http://www.hanspahlen.fotosidan.se/viewpic.htm?ID=196044

Many who looks at this pic says that it is surrealistic HCB style:
http://www.hanspahlen.fotosidan.se/viewpic.htm?ID=196037

Why did I take the pic on the link below? Well, it is a typical sample of
what I look for when I am concentrated on elements in a picture. I was
observing the man walking in the river bottom, and waited for something more
to happen. But maybe it is not very obvious... But you get my point ;)
http://www.hanspahlen.fotosidan.se/viewpic.htm?ID=197657
Nah, I don't think it is a good pic!

Best,
Hans