Subject: [Leica] Digital photography and crack cocaine, which is more addictive
From: wbabbott3 at comcast.net (Bill Abbott)
Date: Sun Jan 2 12:07:30 2005

Ted wrote,

?... to sell the Leicas is tantamount to selling your children! ;-)?

Indeed, I experienced my own version of that feeling, ?either, or,? and went
on to enhance my stable of Leicas. Why?

I am 74 and began with a darkroom just after WW II. I photographed my family
of five for twenty years with a 3.5 Rollei and inherited my dad?s M4s. I am
a rank amateur and take pictures for the memories they provide; in addition,
I enjoy the way Leicas feel, operate and endure.

The arrival of digital photography put all that to question. My choice is
not ?either, or? but is to continue to capture images on film because I have
wonderful family negatives that are 80 years old, and some of mine from 50
years ago, all of which are likely to survive, but I am unsure of digital
archiving.

The second part of it is that I now digitize most of my frames to take
advantage of three major advantages the digital world offers me: image
manipulation, transmission, and distribution of prints, i.e.:

-> image sorting, editing and home printing (for casual use) with my
computer
-> image display on monitors far and wide, via email and CDs, including
QuickTime slide shows
-> image printing and distribution on demand by uploading to digital photo
printers

I rejected ?either, or? by choosing the best of both worlds.

One final piece remains, which I hope to acquire in the near future: a high
quality color printing capability, via digital printing, a capability I?ve
never had.

I would never pretend that this arrangement might suit professionals or
dedicated and perspicacious Leica fans such as LUG readers or those who
prefer larger formats; it is simply my choice, fitting my 35 mm
circumstances. One size, after all, does not fit all; it fits no one.

Thank you for listening and for your comments, which I am confident you will
offer freely.

Bill