Subject: [Leica] Intro
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sun Jan 2 00:48:51 2005

Don,
The publication of measured MTF would help, calculated does not IME. I
have tested two lenses, one a multi element zoom, another a prime. The
zoom has better (calculated) MTF in the centre of the frame than the
prime, but the prime is clearly superior on photographs. I expect there
is a MUCH greater variability in multi element lenses simply because of
the problem of manufacturing them all the same!
OTOH MTF tells nothing about flare resistance or boke, both more
important than ultimate resolution on the type of photography I do (I
rarely use a tripod and never higher resolution film than Kodachrome
and am now using digital)
Frank

Replies: Reply from dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Intro, now a discussion of MTF)