Subject: [Leica] Re: London challenge shoot
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Wed Dec 29 20:55:32 2004

On 29 Dec 2004 at 20:03, Frank Filippone wrote:

> Pros, PJ's, and others that actually get PAID to take pictures have a
> different criteria of success.  Sometimes on this list, that
> differentiation
> gets lost.

Some years ago I went to a Canon/NANPA workshop with Dewitt Jones,
and inevitably someone asked about the "hits/roll" ratio.

I've never forgotten what he said:  "If I get less than two good
shots on a roll, I wasn't paying attention.  If I get more than four,
MAYBE five, I wasn't pushing myself hard enough."

Throwing out exceptionally bad shots is the price we pay for the
chance of getting exceptionally good ones.

My thought about the London shoot is that it looks to me as though
the photographers felt so compelled to enter SOMETHING that they sent
up "almost" shots rather than pass it by...

The alternative is that maybe three of them have any kind of eye at
all and those three were having off days.

--

R. Clayton McKee                               www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                            rcmckee@rcmckee.com

Replies: Reply from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] Re: London challenge shoot)