Subject: [Leica] Best camera/lens choice
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Dec 28 01:24:31 2004

On 12/27/04 6:27 PM, "Julian Koplen" <jkoplen@mindspring.com> typed:

> Rick,
>
> I was a little careless in my expression when I said money was not the
> consideration; I meant not a consideration between taking two M's or buying
> a 35-70 zoom to go with my R's.  If money were really no object, I would be
> first in line for an M7, maybe two.
>
> Amazing that almost no one is pushing a short tele like the 90mm.  Most
> seem
> to be suggesting a moderate wide and a "normal".
>
> Thanks for the interest........Julian

Well someone should. Short teles are invaluable.

All I had for my for years for my Hasselblad system when I first got it 25
years ago was a short tele. The 150 Sonnar. I'd not take it on photo
excursions as I felt that without a full system; a wide and a normal I'd not
be able to "get the shot" and it was foolish to rely on it at all. I'd bring
my Nikons instead which was my only 35mm system those days.

Well one day I finally swung the 50 and 80. It was when the CF's first came
out by the way and you couldn't get lens shades or filters for them yet.

I took a big trip and was all psyched out to use my new wide and normal on
my Hasselblad to full use getting all kinds of shots; 6x6; roughly speaking.

Pulled over.
Needed the 150.

Walked down the beach.
Needed the 150.

Just about everything I did required the 150.
I could have been using the Hasselblad the whole time it turned out

Somewhere I'd read that for landscape and such shooting the main lens was a
slightly wide like a 35. Well that was wrong as far as I go.

Fur sure for pulling over the side of the road for me it's a short tele 90
percent of the time. To get underneath the telephone wires.

One percent per millimeter.

For 4x5 it's a 210 same as I use for table tops.
Not the 150s you always see on the wooden foldies.
For me at least.

I think for scenery wides make everything "go away".

Get small.

You don't want that I don't think.

Mark Rabiner
Photography