Subject: [Leica] Cosina/Voigtlander 18mm f:4 ?
From: mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura)
Date: Fri Dec 24 22:45:10 2004

>Yes, there is a market for LTM lenses, but given the simple fact that the
>last LTM camera ( before the Bessa) is over 45 years old, and there were
>less than 1 million cameras made compared to about 2 million M cameras, the
>market favors the M mount.

Err... no... with the purchase of an M adapter, there are:

3 million cameras that can use the LSM lenses
2 million that can use the M mount lenses.

It's the new math! :-) Actually, if you include Russian LSM cameras,
it's more like 5 million LSM cameras vs. 2 million M cameras.

Seriously. Ask Stephen to loctite an M adapter to each lens that he
sells you and never look back.

  If CV went back and retooled everything for M mount, the price would
no doubt go up because of machining costs (M mount costs more to
tool) and smaller market share.  They're not really selling to
enthusiasts in america as their major market, they're selling to
Japanese folks with our insane desire to keep our Leica IIs, IIIs,
ur-leicas, Leotaxes, Niccas, Reids, Canons, Zorkis, FEDs, etc. etc.

Karen

--
Karen Nakamura

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Cosina/Voigtlander 18mm f:4 ?)