Subject: [Leica] Re: New Zeiss lenses compared against Leica
From: lowiemanuel at yahoo.ca (Emanuel Lowi)
Date: Thu Dec 23 08:22:51 2004

Bill Marshall wrote:

> Re prices for the ZM lenses, Hasselblad-USA sent
> price lists to their
> dealers in late November. Classic Connection
> (www.classicconnection.com)
> posted these prices on their website. I have them
> posted below with current
> B&H Leica prices for comparison.
>
> 25/2.8 = $1152 (Leica = $2295)
> 28/2.8 = $1042 (Leica = $1995 for 24/2.8)
> 35/2.0 = $1042 (Leica = $1795 - $1950)
> 50/2.0 = $ 824 (Leica = $1195)

Thanks for the solid information, Bill.

What I see is that the Cosina-built ZI badged lenses
are scheduled to sell in the USA for about the
equivalent of "Mint In Box" latest Leica M equivalents
(a little less for the Cosina/ZI's 25mm vs. Leica's
24, a little more for Cosina/ZI's 50mm vs. Leica's).

But haven't there been countless lower-cost quality
alternatives to Leica glass for decades, from Zeiss,
Nikon, Canon etc. etc. etc.?

Marc James Small has even written a whole book about
them!

Personally, I find the ZI camera more interesting: the
first M mount camera that sounds like it could really
match Leica on features, but at a much lower price.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal

Replies: Reply from corkflor at iol.ie (Alex Hurst) ([Leica] Nollaig shonasach agus athbhliain shuaimhneach.)
Reply from ruben at rhodos.dk (Ruben) ([Leica] Re: New Zeiss lenses compared against Leica)